Friday, February 1, 2013

i made it

the last 72 hours have been non-stop. because i fly standby, i wound up having to leave a day early because the friday flight looked full. so i lost 24 hours and had so much left to do and people see. a lot of which just didn't get done. mom and dad took me to the airport and once arriving at the gate i discovered the flight was delayed. but i still didn't know if i would even get on this flight. the thrill and expectancy of getting first class had been squelched earlier that day and i was just hoping to get a seat. i waited near the gate for two hours and then they began to show the standby list. i was 9th and there were only 7 seats available. i had to wait until the very last possible second. i was already making backup plans to stay another day in Atlanta and go to dinner with Betsy, when they called my name.  then i suddenly went from thoughts of Mexican food and breakfast in Decatur and the afternoon at the High Museum seeing the Gogo exhibit,  to being strapped into a plane for 15 hours. to be honest, the leaving was horribly emotional and sad for me. i have loved my time home. i cried. the South African/professional hunter beside me said, "you must really love someone". i told him i loved a lot of someones. but i wiped my tears and took out my headset and watched tv. i took 3 melatonin and slept. and so now it is 2:30pm there but 9:30pm here and although exhausted, i am quite wide awake. landing and settling and unpacking and getting back into my life in Pemba excites me. my students are writing me and anxious for my arrival and i am anxious to spend my days with them. i am not quite prepared for rats and 105 degrees, but there really is no way to prepare for that.  thinking of all that, i could get so overwhelmed, the need, the poverty, the overwhelmingness of the job. but God is patient and divided our days into 24 hours and those i can handle. one day at a time. i can do this day. this night i can do with the help of more melatonin and tomorrow i can do as i sit and wait on Sunday's flight. and Sunday i can do as it will be exciting to land in my city by the sea. and Monday will be great because i will get to see my students (and wear my new outfit). He is so patient with me and my shallowness. His patience and kindness leaves me no choice but to trust Him. i am believing Him for great things in this next season in Mozambique and am excited to see what the adventure will bring.  my heart is full. thank you all for your generosity and friendships while i was in the States. thank you for joining me in this journey. it is time to get back to work. to this crazy wild life for which i have been chosen and you've been so kind to join me in. here we go.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank goodness our days are divided into 24 hours. LOVE what the south African hunter said to you! I cannot imagine him not wearing a hunting outfit from a cartoon complete with helmet and huge gun sitting beside you on an airplane. Enjoying reading the blog and getting to know what is on your mind and in your heart. Love you!

    ReplyDelete