Saturday, February 2, 2013

choosing yes

As I sit here in Johannesburg, waiting for tomorrow's flight to Pemba, I am enjoying my last hours of internet. I am downloading magazines for the months ahead and looking up recipes. I am looking at favorite clothing and restaurant and destination sites and trying to remember if I remembered to pack this and that.  I'm feeling a little sentimental and missing my family and friends and Georgia. I even read the AJC. 

Then Facebook messages me. 

It's Cesar! One of my favorite students! (they are all my favorites). We have a long conversation in Portuguese. My brain gets tired so I start typing in English. He says he wants to write in Portuguese. I tell him, "No" and that I will help him. I correct his first sentence and then give up. I like his broken English better. He tells me all that is going on. He is on the computer because he is waiting to hear if he passed his exams for university! I try to occupy his time while he waits as I know the feeling of anticipation. We write back and forth. He tells me he wants to tell me something and the conversation goes like this:


Grace Davis
what?
12:36pm
Cèsar Domingos Domingos
I want to follow Jesus but for real.
12:37pm
Grace Davis
yes!
this is WONDERFUL!!!
you can do it!
12:37pm
Cèsar Domingos Domingos
I have realised that I have to learn more about Jesus.
12:37pm
Grace Davis
He is very patient with us.
i will tell you all that i know. we can learn together.
i know He is good. i know He is faithful.
12:42pm
Cèsar Domingos Domingos
Thank you for understand me...I will really need yours help!
12:42pm
Grace Davis
i am here for you cesar
12:44pm
Cèsar Domingos Domingos
At the first time I have felt that I can do better.
12:44pm
Grace Davis
with Jesus you can
12:48pm
Cèsar Domingos Domingos
I always thought only in myself but when I met you showed me off the real reason of live.
Sent from Mobile

Be still my heart. Why do I sit here and worry and wonder and dream about new leather sandals and regret not getting to have Mexican with Betsy? I have the best life. I've been given a great gift. I get to befriend Cesar. My little light is apparently shining, along with my new Gogo necklace! So blessed. It is time to go home.
My sweet friend Mary West just posted this. I think she made it herself. She's amazing like that. It couldn't be more appropriate for this very moment. Choosing yes...

No comments:

Post a Comment