Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Davis J - woo hoo!

That's ME! You know how sometimes you just know that you are gonna win? I am an eternal optimist. Every day when I get home I go to the front porch to check it for a package. I never order anything, never expect gifts (except around August 1st), yet I always check... just in case. The few times I bought lottery tickets I could not sleep at night and stayed awake through the 11 o'clock news to see if I had won. So maybe it should not come as a surprise that I would think that I would win this...But sometimes you just know stuff! Like when you are watching those lottery numbers come up and you guess a number before it comes up. You just know it is gonna be 32 and sure enough...32 pops up out of the little ping pong ball machine. Or like when you are listening to the radio and you just know the next song is gonna be "Blue Christmas" and sure enough, the next thing you know, you and Elvis are belting it out. So I just KNEW that I was gonna win! This summer I got this postcard in the mail that I almost threw out, until I saw the words "iPod nano". I already HAVE an iPod nano, but I am sucker for such things. My iPod is currently one of my favorite things ever and I carry it wherever I go. So this little postcard tells me that I can win one. Essentially my health insurance company, UnitedHealthcare, in conjunction with the Georgia Department of Community Health is gonna give away 600 iPod nano's including the Nike Plus running kit in a campaign titled, "Nuts about Health". Which means a pair of running shoes and the iPod compatible Nike chip that when placed in your shoe, will tell your iPod how far you have ran, how fast you ran, how many minutes you ran and how many calories you have burned. I have always wanted one, but talked myself out of it. I used a variety of free sources to do the same thing. I get on http://www.runnersworld.com/ and chart my course on a map of College Park/East Point to plan my mileage and use my $7.49 Timex that I got on Clearance at Target to tell me how long I have been running and just do the math on distance and time. So I can get by without it, but if United Healthcare wants to give me one, well that's a horse of a different color! I read the fine print and find out that they are giving away 600 to state employees who do these stupid health modules. Being a proper researcher I found out there are 696,919 people I am up against and determine that not many are going to do what it takes to qualify. I had to log on and register and record my family health history, but then discovered that there is a whole history of my health online with records from my doctors, test results, drugs I have been prescribed and all of that. To complete the modules they want you to read a bunch of 8th Grade Health Book chapters about diet and exercise and at the end of each chapter there was a test. Once you completed one test you had to wait 7 days to take the other portions. So it took me about 2 months to complete the one module necessary for entry into the drawing. But I marked my calendar each week and logged on on the appropriate dates and would quick skip straight to the test, not reading the chapter at all because a monkey could answer the questions. I had the drawing date of Dec 1st marked on my calendar. Yes, I know what you are thinking, "this poor girl needs to get a life". But, I went online today and checked and there is a list of winners!!! But...it is first initial, last name only...But there is a Davis J. And I just know it is me!! I am already looking at nano's to pick out my new color and planning out my next half-marathon with the help of my Nike Plus running kit. Winners will receive their packets by Dec. 20th. I will be looking on the front porch every day till then. :)

P.S. Did you know?
Georgia ranks 14th in the United States for adult obesity
Georgia has the 13th highest inactivity rate at 25.9 percent
Approximately 10 percent (6,700) of Georgians die from obesity each year
Georgia is in the top 15 states for the highest obesity rates for youths ages 10 through 17
Approximately 10 percent of adult Georgians have diabetes
Top three causes of death in Georgia – cardiovascular disease, cancer and stroke

2 comments:

  1. that is just plain awesome! i LOVE that for you!!!! what color?

    ReplyDelete