Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sweet Potato Pie

I emailed Cousin Shannon to get the recipe because I knew she had recently asked for it. Here is her reply:

"There's not really a recipe. You know I just make it. I don't use that nutmeg and cinnamon in mine. I use lemon flavoring"- Granny McCarley

This is the best that I could put together from what she told me.....

Granny McCarley's Sweet Tater Pie

2 frozen pie crusts
3 lbs (5-6) sweet potatoes>
1/2 cup sugar (more to taste)
1/2 stick butter
small can evaporated milk
1 tbsp lemon flavoring (more to taste)
2 eggs
Cook sweet potatoes until tender and mash. Mix in all other ingredients except eggs. Add more sugar and lemon flavoring to taste. Add the eggs last. You don't want to be tasting raw eggs! Divide the sweet potato mixture into the 2 pie shells. Bake at 350 degrees until brown (as you like).

Hope this helps - wish you could post a sound file of her telling me this recipe to your blog. It was great!! Took about 15 minutes....(Let me get this frog out of my throat.) These are the absolute hardest recipes to put into words. Imagine all that cookin' knowledge she has!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment