Monday, November 10, 2014

Kenya

All is well. More than well. It feels good to be back with Carola and here in Kenya. Africa became my norm and Carola was my sidekick in the midst of the turmoil so it feels good to have her back in my world again. The flight was a welcomed one. Wendy and I had been going non stop and it was kinda nice just to sit on a plane for 4.5 hours and snack and nap. Landing in Nairobi was actually quite easy, all things considered. I didn’t have a visa so I had to do that. It can always be harrowing but it went smoothly. A lady in a white lab coat stood inside the door and insisted on taking my temperature before allowing me in. It was unofficial and unorganized and ridiculous. I grabbed the right paperwork and filled it out to the best of my ability and felt sorry for the poor middle Eastern couple and the group of Italians who were struggling with the English form. But I jumped in line looking out for no one but yours truly. I paid the $50 required and got yet another page of my passport taken up with a huge visa sticker. I can stay a month. I found a cart and my bags came out right away. I pushed through all the people offering me help and found an ATM and took out as much money as they would allow, 40,000 shillings I think. I got stopped at customs by a nice looking older man with a sweet face who asked what was in my bags. I told him clothes and "girl stuff" like make up and shampoo and hair brushes. He laughed and welcomed me to Kenya. I pushed through more people and found sweet Kim the young taxi driver with a cardboard sign with my name scribbled in block letters in blue ballpoint pin.


So relieved to see that sign and his smiling face. The driving in Kenya is absolutely insane, complete and utter craziness. The bus drivers are mad. They make two lanes seven. The buses drive along medians with tires hanging off the edges of little cliffs and large curbs. They weave in and out as if they are motorbikes but they are 50 passenger buses. Nuts. Unfortunately we were in horrible traffic for two hours in hot sun. It was pretty miserable. We stopped at a grocery store per my request but it was more trouble than it was worth. I had to take in my backpack that was already heavy and full of way too many valuable items and found my way in the midst of this massive store with no clue what to buy. I bought cheese, coffee, spinach, chocolate and a coke zero and some granola. Then I pushed and sweated my way back to the car, happy to find Kim there waiting. My shirt, drenched in sweat. We finally got out of traffic after what seemed like ages and to a point where I was getting a little miserable. But then we started to ascend and drive along the Rift Valley with loads of sheep and donkey pulled carriages and I began to relax and rest easy and feel at home again. Carola had told me I would love it here. I had no idea. We passed shacks and I started to sweat it a little. But then I know Carola and I knew her home would be perfection and it is. I am perched on the edge of a hill over looking yet another volcano and the Rift Valley. I arrived just in time for the sunset. It is all lush and green and lovely and her back veranda off her bedroom overlooks it all. There really are no words and pictures don’t do it justice. 

We immediately walked up to the hospital, just right next door to check on her patient. A premature baby boy born yesterday who during childbirth breathed in fecal matter, became asphyxiated, has a collapsed lung and is not breathing properly on his on. So he is intubated. But breathing over the machine some which is good. She did an ultrasound on his heart to make sure it is closing and opening properly and to view the veins around his heart. Poor little fella. She increased his meds to sedate him more. She was up with him during the night. But this morning he is much better.

Life here is lovely. We had colleagues over for dinner last night after a little mid morning hike to view the rift. We leave for the Rapha House in Mombasa next week and will spend the weekend in Nairobi. For now it just feels good to be reunited with Carola and be able to do small parts in taking care of her, loving her and encouraging her. I am still not sure why I am here, if it is for the Rapha House boys, Carola or myself. But there is no where else I would rather be. I needed this. More soon. Love, Grace

Our hike
Carola performing an ultrasound on her wee patient.
The backyard
The Great Rift Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment