Monday, May 5, 2014

working class

i started work saturday. real backbreaking, intensive, laborious work. God help me. in 48 hours have polished endless drawers of silverware, set at least 50 tables, carried and moved tables and chairs, schlepped dishes and glassware to the dish pit on heavy trays through swinging doors, and greeted those illustrious members with a somewhat heartfelt smile. i have never seen so much seersucker and lilly pulitzer all in one room. so many babies in peter pan collars. so many maserati's in the parking lot. i couldn't be any more indifferent to it all. i am here for the money.  meanwhile my feet are killing me and my back hurts. my feet are not accustomed to shoes. i am still rubbish at idle chit chat. but i did meet some very kind and compassionate people. two at least.  a sweet couple in their 50's who asked how long i had been working at the club. when i told them 45 minutes they were intrigued and asked more about it. they even gave me their email and want to get together with me. go figure. i can't remember their names. and now that's part of my job, remember names and use them. pour my heart into it and serve well. so hard. maybe when my feet become accustomed to shoes, my mind can focus a little more on my surroundings and the one in front of me. i know i am here for a reason, beyond the paycheck. i see reasons daily. but sadly i am kinda counting the days until i can quit and counting the work hours i can possibly fit into a week to make as much as possible. yet also wanting days off because i miss my family and want to see nathalie when she comes to visit hartwell all the way from fiji. and laura and i are way overdue for a few days together in the same room. 

despite having to wear a necktie and a tuxedo vest like a goober, life is pretty grand. this vagabond life of trusting God and going where He sends me is still working and i am still amazed. i will wait tables all day long if it leads me back to where i belong. while waiting tables i am also researching poverty and planning my curriculum for the school in August and dreaming with God about eradicating poverty and starting small businesses. i am also living in a home where i am fully loved and provided for and where we laugh so incredibly often. i become undone when i consider His kindness and how well He takes care of me. He loves you too. -xo, grace

No comments:

Post a Comment