Sunday, March 9, 2014

6. Sense of entitlement



Do I do this?

Veruca may be a little over the top.  But do we believe that a culture, nation or person owes us something to which we have rights? We Americans are pretty bad about this. The high debt of our nation is only an example. I was traveling through the airport in Johannesburg several years ago with a group of friends, Europeans and another American. As we approached a very, very long line and were all sleep-deprived, dirty, sick and hungry, Nate the American began to impersonate George Bush and say, "Uh excuse me, excuse me. I'm an American",  pretending to push his way further in line. We all roared laughing. The Afrikaners in line ahead of us, did not. But for me it was a splendid example of our American entitlement. I hate to break it to you but the rest of the world sees us as pretty obnoxious and this is one of the reasons why. Americans don't wait in line, are used to having whatever they want when they want it and they want it super-sized. I don't want to be seen as an obnoxious American. 

Help us Lord, to see your constant provision and grace that only comes from you. Help us to live life resourcefully and humbly.- Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment