Tuesday, March 25, 2014

15. Self-Pity


“Humble people are without pretense, free from any sense of spiritual superiority, and liberated from the need to be associated with persons of importance.  Neither overly sensitive to criticism nor inflated by praise, they recognize their brokenness, acknowledge their gifts, and refuse to take themselves seriously.  A truly humble man does not fear being exposed.”- Brennan Manning

It’s not all about me. I have found that when I pour out myself the most and make it less about me and more about loving others around me, this is when I am the most transformed. I heard God clearly speak to me during my time in Mozambique, “This has nothing to do with you and this is all about you.” When we step outside of ourselves and do what we are called in being His hands and feet, we get transformed. Just this morning I went to a morning meditation with a group of women who among them some had been SOLD into sex trade and forced to live in such horrific circumstances. Their problems make mine pale. And what do I even have to bring to their conversation? It could be easy to shy away and feel that I have nothing to offer. But everyone’s story has value and meaning and purpose. Everyone’s story needs to be told and we can all offer hope to those around us by simply being ourselves. 

Carl Benedict just sent this to me.  It's quite fitting. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment