Sunday, March 16, 2014

12. Spirit of Poverty

The revelation of true identity will destroy the spirit of poverty in our lives.- Kris Vallotton


Several years ago I was standing in line at the check out counter of a department store. A towhead blonde boy was standing next to his mother and a mound of new jeans and pastel colored polo shirts. He seemed bored of the task of getting a new wardrobe, unappreciative even. His mother seemingly oblivious to his attitude swiped her credit card and Junior got new clothes. I then stepped up to the counter with my 75% off and under $20 purchase.  I had stood at the rack debating over and over if the purchase was truly necessary. Was this a need or a want? Did it fit into my budget? Did it have to be dry-cleaned? If so, I could not afford that. I was jealous of the boy who got a whole mound of new things without any care as to who was paying for it or if it was on sale or how it was to be laundered. He never had to open the bill in the mail and stare aghast and feel the angst of not having enough.

Jesus said in Matthew 6:25-34
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[a] 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its’ own trouble.
He told me then and there at the counter that the boy and I were no different and I needed to approach the counter with no worries, no concerns and no fear. He told me that I have the same provision as this boy, even more. He set Matthew 6 in my heart and told me He would provide all I ever need (Philippians 4:19).
Years later I stood at the counter in a shop in Austin, Texas and watched my friend Wanda swipe her card as she bought me a whole new wardrobe of linen for Mozambique. I wiped tears away in the dressing room as I heard Him confirm to me that His promises are true. I love the way He says, "I told you so." It is always so kind and gentle.
Proverbs 23:7 says, “For as a man thinks in his heart so is he.” As I began to figure out in life, just who I was, I began to change. I see it all the time, daily, people walking around defeated, making really poor choices, all because they simply have no idea who they really are. They settle, they choose out of fear. “If that girl knew how amazing she was, she would not be with that jerk.” Luke 12:32 tell us, “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.” That revelation for me was life changing. Once I began to realize that the kingdom was my inheritance I began to carry myself completely differently. It wasn’t from a place of arrogance, but of honor. When I saw myself as valued and cherished, I began to value and cherish others. I saw that my showing up in life and being able to cheer others on was part of my destiny on planet Earth.

All of Creation is waiting for the sons of God to be revealed. And for me to step up and finally realize that I am a daughter, not a pauper but a princess.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. 23 And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.

“Creation itself is longing for us to have a revelation of who we are.     Creation is groaning under the weight of our slavery, hoping that one day soon we will have a revelation of the glory of our Son-ship.”- Kris Vallotton


Living among the very poor and working among the rich, I have seen how they behave. I know what their dejected spirit looks like and how it reacts. Those with a poverty spirit feel insignificant and that pain defines them. Whether it be money or lack of love and affirmation a pauper believes there is not enough for them. 
 

By breaking the spirit of poverty off in my own life I began to see my inheritance, full of heavenly and worldly and lasting treasures. When I began to see myself as immensely valuable, a daughter of the Most High, everything changed. He is more than enough. Fear and panic and jealousy are not from Him. I reign. 


Are you a pauper or a prince? 

Take the test!

No comments:

Post a Comment