Thursday, June 13, 2013

sewing school



Amilcar working on our NEW SERGER!

throw pillow

great napkins to go with this are coming soon!
I am sitting outside in computer class with 7 teenage boys. They make me laugh and I, them. We are laughing at the call to prayer that just went out over the village, even though most of them are muslim. They are learning to type. My star student can type 15 words per minute. They laugh at me typing here so fast. Now they are speaking French and we are laughing at the phrases we know and those we don't. 
We worked HARD today in sewing class. We are actively working and making a great supply of goods to sell. It is all still so young in the process. I had no idea we would have so much of it up and working at this point. I would still ideally like to post it all on etsy.com and have the girls working here a few days a week and keeping a good supply on etsy and sending our goods back to the States via visitors. I have no clue how it will all work but I see a system where girls can come and work and learn and get paid to do so. 
I have learned from the Mozambicans just to rest and relax and most everything will eventually work out. Today I watched the gardner just sit outside the house waiting on the owner to come out. So I am trying to be more like him and just sit and wait and know that eventually it will all work out according to plan. 
Fran and I are about to go out to eat at 1 of our 3 suitable restaurants. She is a trooper and still hanging in there. I have even heard her use a Portuguese word or two. She is fitting right in here and I am impressed by her resolve. She is an amazing worker, instructor, teacher. I am loving her companionship. 
I am still just shocked that this is all coming together and that it is happening. Our little dream and vision of creating something out of nothing is happening. The girls LOVE seeing the beautiful thing come off the sewing machine. They squeal LINDO or BONITA!! They take such delight in seeing the works of their hands and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment