Monday, June 10, 2013

dreams coming true

 I am simply too exhausted to write. My feet hurt. We've not sat down all day. Fran was in her pajamas at 6:30. It has been one week since she arrived and we have not stopped. Except for the Police but that is another story. Just wanted to post pictures and let you see our creations. I am having a blast having a companion here and we are making real progress. I beamed today as Amilcar, my star student and reason for doing this, sat at the sewing machine teaching others. He wants to start designing this week and we are here to help him do it!
We've let each of the students make something to take home and they are all catching on and doing really well. We are now beginning to make items for the online shop and have begun cloth napkins and tablecloths.
Today a loud white Land Rover drove up and my friend from Ibo Island appeared in the gazebo, hand delivering me a bag of stunningly beautiful coconut shell buttons. We've added one to our napkins so you can have some too. We will be adding them to other designs, duvets and pillows. I am dying to make a tunic and a robe.
I am loving all my treasures from home. Thank you so much, Betty and NeeNee and Christine and Carla and Lynne for all the goodies. And Thank You Hartwell Service League for all our sewing supplies. We are so well stocked with what we need thanks to you! Wish you were here to see it all happening. I am beside myself with a well stocked pantry of walnuts and dark chocolate and protein powder. What else could a girl want? Actually today Veronica told me, "Sister Grace, you are fat. You are so very beautiful". So not only do I have a stash of dark chocolate, I live in a country where fat is beautiful.
The students are loving the classes and Amilcar is really growing as a tailor and learning a lot from Fran. "The City Girls" and our Iris Girls are coming too and learning. New students are showing up every day. Typically, the art of sewing here is a man's job. And it is just to mostly repair and make basic clothing. These girls are seeing that sewing can be so much more and that they can create things of beauty.
This was all just a tiny dream as I sat with Amilcar about a year ago and asked him what he wanted to do. When he told me he wanted to be a designer and I knew he often came to school hungry, I wanted to squeal and dance. Finally! A dreamer in the midst of poverty. No longer looking at the reality but dreaming big about lofty things and telling poverty to take a backseat to one of my favorite things ever, Fashion! With your help this is happening.
Many thanks,
Grace
cloth napkin sets- coconut shell buttons

my friend Teo works with a man on Ibo Island who made these for us. he hand delivered them this morning!

my student Amilcar who told me he wants to be a designer. he's hand sewing a handbag.

my cleaning lady Veronica and one of our newest students. i've dubbed her a "city girl". they are making a beach wrap from a pattern fran brought and a capalana she brought from home.



our cloth napkins and tablecloths!




No comments:

Post a Comment