Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yesterday


I woke up in my new house. I think the paint fumes are still borderline toxic but I stayed there anyway. I spent all day moving my things, which I didn’t think were that much, into my new place. The room has a small old struggling air conditioner that it doesn’t work so well. Less than a month ago the room was covered in black mold. I instantly start to sneeze when I walk into the house and wake up congested but am praying that this doesn’t continue. We have bleached the walls and the mold has been removed from what I can see. I have painted the walls with an oil based paint which I was told helps. I painted the room myself, as I am stubborn and my mother’s child and if you want something done right you do it yourself! I still need a few more things to make it comfortable but it is a great space and I will show you soon. I had weaned myself off coffee but woke up yesterday under my small chenille blanket and decided upon opening my eyes that coffee with breakfast was in order. I have a new electric kettle. I set up the computer and with coffee close by sent an email. I am terrible about emails here. I am terrible about taking the time to get on the computer and write. I am considering getting internet in this house. I think it would change communication tremendously. I am going to look into it this week. I wrote Carla back but didn’t say half of all that I wanted to say and even that took an hour and I found myself scrambling to get dressed and out the door for class. We did wound care in class yesterday. We have a nurse visiting from Norway. Our YWAM kids also helped teach and strangely enough everyone had wounds that needed dressing?! Except me. After class, I came home to my new kitchen and fixed a sandwich complete with carrot sticks on the side. The little South African grocery store had seeded brown bread, Rocket, Beets, Carrots, Cherry Tomatoes and apples. I literally closed my eyes and savored those first few bites. In the afternoon I had a meeting of the Children’s Department. It is eye opening to see the politics of running an orphanage. We must remain in strict compliance with Social Services and it is a constant dance of adjusting to perform to their standards. Most of our older kids go to school in the afternoons, so I have only had two students in the afternoon session. Yesterday I was supposed to meet with Berta. I saw her on my way down. She said she was on her way. She was 45 minutes late for a one hour lesson. We went over the Present, Past Preterit and Past Imperfect and will continue to work on that this week. After class I ran into town with others to get a few groceries and still didn’t get but two things on my list. I need hand soap and bleach and will have to hit up a barracca this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment