Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Today

It is not even 3 o’clock. Did you know the whole rest of the world calls it 15:00? The military, Mozambique, Europe. I woke up at 5. Fumes. I lost my phone last night somewhere in the room and was afraid I was going to oversleep. I dug around and found my old Timex Ironman and set the alarm for 6:00. But apparently it was not even set for the correct time and never went off. I thought it was about 7am and finally found my phone while on my hands and knees and discovered it was 7:58. I quick rushed out the door and went to class. I taught today on Rabies and how to diagnose serious wounds, like bites, puncture wounds and care for them. We are planning a trip on Saturday to go out to Mieze and perhaps to see the farm and then to the beach. I want them to be exposed to all that they can see. I want them to spend time in the village and learn to take a look at the needs, problems and educate them on solutions. I want them to see a proper farm and how things grow and operate. Often times our center kids grow up in a bubble and are not exposed to life outside the base, from what I can tell. After class I went up to get my mail. I had THREE letters. Thank you Jenny Bell and Granny McCarley! I read them on my walk home. I walked along the little dirt path, Indian Ocean right beside me, passing little black faces starring back at me, reading your Valentine’s Day cards. They are so beautiful and I adore them.  Jenny Bell sent me clipping from the Funny Paper. So I read The Family Circle on my walk. If anyone in Hartwell wants to send me clippings from the Police Report, feel free. I do find myself craving news from the outside world. A few places have television and I stare at it as if I have never seen one and any tiny bit of news is a big deal. We heard about Whitney Houston’s death and someone was able to download Kevin Costner’s speech and I want to watch it tonight. I try to go to the major news sites about once a week and always swing by the Atlanta Journal for news about the ATL. And, admittedly from time to time I read Peach Pundit and peek into my former life. But I have no time for any of that today. I love the updates from all of you and thank you for sending me news. I also love getting the news through your eyes, unfiltered. These cards from my grandmother and Jenny Bell are just priceless. I will save them and bring them home with me. They are among my most cherished possessions. I did get to town and I did get the bleach and the hand soap. The bleach is so cheap and the container cheap plastic and it leaked on my green pants. Oh well. I tried to let friends use the scooter but they got pulled over by the police and it was a big deal and they were not able to take it and the police apparently took my documents but I got them back somehow according to the phone call I got about it all. We attempted to look into monthly internet but really got nowhere other than that they are going to come over this week and look at what I have here in the house already as far as installation. I have got to prepare tomorrow’s lesson with the business kids. I think we are going to work on English for a Purpose and work on phrases one would use in a restaurant. Dad sent a video camera. I want to take lots of footage all around to show you all there is to see. I will try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment