Sunday, September 12, 2010

no baby...yet.

Arrived uneventfully and greeted with huge hugs from a very pregnant Laura. She looks so cute. She is all belly. I took pictures, but won't post without her permission. I think she looks absolutely incredible and can only hope I look that great when I am with child. My first day here we took Owen to the daycare on base and went to the PX and the Commissary. The Commissary has incredible prices on pretty much all things. They have a really good international section and Starbucks for $6. Coffee was at the top of my list of things I needed during my stay. Laura had to go to the basement for the coffeemaker. I got deep discounts on vitamins and a water filter. I enjoyed tax free shopping at the PX and got a travel makeup mirror that I have been needing for $1.50. We also went to Laura's doctor's appointment. No signs of the baby wanting to arrive any day soon, but the GI Joe doctor let us hear her heartbeat! We got a short tour of the birthing center at the military hospital. We picked up Owen and then Hailey from school. Then I kept Owen, while Laura dropped Hailey off at a birthday party. It was actually for the daughter of a couple we went to college with. There are obviously a lot of North Georgia grads in the military and Laura and John are fortunate to find old friends when they get assigned to a new post.
Yesterday we went to a Company picnic. It was for all of John's troop, who are all in Iraq. So a lot of mothers and children and potato salad. It was held at a little pavilion/playground on Post. The wives and kids all signed large cloth banners to send to their soldier's in Iraq. I was honored to spend September 11th around these sweet families that make such a huge sacrifice every single day. They gave me a lapel pin with John's troop logo on it and I wore it all day, but later noticed it tore a hole in my brand spanking new jcrew cardigan. Ugh!
After the picnic, we went to Hailey's birthday party. This big event had been weeks in the making. All her little friends played at this huge gymnastics center and jumped and tumbled and then we ate ice cream cake.
By the time we got home, we were all exhausted. I was in bed by 9:30.
This morning we went to church. Now I am sitting beside Hailey as she makes Glogs (www.glogster.com) and write this Blog.
We are leaving in an hour for a sibling class being held at the hospital for lessons on life with a newborn baby. I am sure Hailey, age 8 years 364 days, will ace it. Owen, age 2, not so sure.
There is leftover ice cream cake in the freezer. Laura is napping. Be right back...

No comments:

Post a Comment