Friday, August 20, 2010

Happy Birthday Catherine

This stunning face makes my heart hurt I love it so much. She turns 13 today. 13 years of knowing her and watching her grow up. She is such a leader and a boss and a "mom" and a grown-up and so strong and resilient. She can cook and clean and is smart. She is just like my sister. She is the oldest. I am the youngest. I like to hang out with her because she has that oldest child personality and can take charge.
I have told all this before, but I will never forget the day she was born. It was by far the most exciting day of my life. I don't get that excited any more. It was like every Christmas morning I have ever experienced, every birthday, every good gift, all rolled into one. Her. I knew that she was a girl, even though they had decided not to find out and bought Baby Dior without hesitation. I remember buying those first outfits and onesies and little tiny things and starring at them and laying them out and smelling them. I paid $20 for $4 in fast food and drove off and forgot my change. I can't even talk about the labor and delivery part, but when I saw that face, I never knew my heart could love so much. She had deep red lips (as seen above). Even the nurses told us how beautiful she was and I know they see all kinds. I will never forget the first time she locked eyes with me and smiled back at me. I will never forget her belly laughing so hard at herself or something silly we had done. We'd do it all over and over to watch her laugh so hard, she would have tears coming down her face and would topple over from her newly achieved seated position.
I love this child to bits. She is so strong, so amazing. I love watching her grow. She is artistic and creative and observant and funny and 13 years old.
Everyone deserves a song on their birthday. This is hers:

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said and brought me to tears. Can't believe she is 13 yrs old today. Happy Birthday Catherine! Thanks for sharing her w/me;)

    ReplyDelete