Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Happens Every Day



This book caught my eye in the grocery store. It was $11 and it just looked good. It kinda beckoned me. I usually don't even go down the book or magazine aisle. But for some reason I did. I saw it was a true story and I am all for a true story. There was a blurb on the front stating that readers who liked Eat. Pray. Love. would like this book and because I want to write a New York Times Bestseller and this one was one, I bought it. For research purposes. I love paperbacks. I also love books that are mine and not from the library. I find I read library ones gingerly. My own books I caress, devour, fold, eat with, bathe with, take to bed with me and put them underneath the pillow next to mine. Library books have to remain on the nightstand and aren't allowed to rest on my belly in the bathtub like books of my own. So maybe you might not want to borrow my copy of this book, but it was a decent read. And I can say I recommend it. She is a good writer, but not great. It is far from literary genius, but she is well educated and well in touch with her feelings and emotions. I liked it because it is like reality television without commercials. You get a front row seat inside this woman's monologue as she pours her heart out to you. 

The story itself was good, not great. I mostly liked her talking about various parts of her life, growing up wealthy, her family, their vacations, life in New York, and the home she remodeled with her husband. And all the emotion and joy and pain of life and marriage and children and being a wife and mother. 

By the end of the book I thought the woman may have gone a little crazy. I don't want to give away the story, although you can find the plot on the back cover, but it is about D-I-V-O-R-C-E. Raw, and real, but entertaining as you get to lean on their new kitchen counter tops in their 100 year old brick house and watch them fight. I read it one Saturday, opening it with my morning coffee and didn't put it down until I went into the kitchen to make a tomato sandwich and finished it by 5:00 and even put it down to mow the lawn. This means it was good. I couldn't put it down, I liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment