Saturday, September 5, 2009

Richard's Variety Store

Carla and Kevin dropped off Carson and Catherine on their way to the airport Friday. Carson turns 6 on September 4th, so we loaded up in the car, not wasting any time on starting the celebration a little early, and went on "Destination Unknown"! Carson tried to play "20 Questions" to guess where we were going. He kept asking "Is it the reason we brought our bathing suits"?, which just made me laugh, because I didn't know they were bringing bathing suits. They obviously could not guess it and when we arrived they wanted to know just what this place was all about and it got dubbed "The Birthday Store". I think Richard's used to be kinda a Hardware/Trinkets from China store in the Peachtree Battle shopping center.  The trinkets got a little more fancy and the Toy Department went from a few Brio train sets, ordered by demand of the Buckhead mom's needing a birthday present, to a now extensive stock of Brio, Lego, Doll Houses, Puppets and much more. I go in there for that hardware item you just don't want to brave Atlanta-based Home Depot to get. The girlie "hardware" items that I need are stuff like plate hangers and Velcro and Mod Podge, all can easily be found here. It is much more fun to go here than that awful concrete-floored Home Depot. I loathe that place. This place has toys and games and funny birthday cards and gag gifts and trick gum and googlie eyed glasses and cheap silk slippers made in China. They also have a mechanical pony that you can ride for .25 cents. Okay, maybe YOU can't ride it and I certainly can't (50lbs or less), but it is there. I like the Puppet Theater and could play all day, with or without an audience. I let them both loose and quietly watched them play and pick out a toy of their choice. Catherine picked out paper dolls and Carson, a pirate ship (it was between that and a Mr. Snuffleupagus) and I lucked out that neither item was over $15. Carson is quite the expert on animals. He stood for a long time in front of a huge shelf of realistic plastic animals, naming every single one of them. He even informed me that some people call the Manatee a Sea Cow. I then quietly watched him pick up a large Luke Skywalker doll that talked when you pressed his belt. The first thing the doll said was, "My name is Luke Skywalker", to which Carson replied "Duh, everybody knows that" and put him back on the shelf. Fun, fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment