Monday, February 9, 2009

Madagascar



So this entry may be very premature, but part of this blog is for journaling, writing, describing, evaluating and sharing what is on my mind and heart. Today it is Madagascar. It is no surprise that the minute I set foot in Africa, I fell in love and didn't want to come home (Zimbabwe, 1999). I can't describe how it feels other than just this huge peace and comfort that I just don't feel anywhere else. I had never felt it before and I don't feel it now. I don't know what it means or what exactly I am supposed to do about it. My feelings were just confirmed when I went back to Africa in 2007. The peace came back, the joy overflowed, the creativity opened up and I felt "home". I felt awakened, alive, life had new meaning and yet nothing made sense. But the smile on my face never really went away and I cried when I left. And that is the only way I know to describe my love affair with another continent. But I returned to the US and have been going about my daily routine and it could not be more arduous, empty and void. The cycle of getting up, putting on a suit, working at my desk, getting a check, paying my mortgage, two weeks later, getting another check, paying utilites, and repeat just does not excite me. I want to be doing something that I love, I want my money to be spent wisely and with a great purpose. I am bored here. I am blessed. I love my country. I love my family. I love my thousand threat count sheets. But I am bored. So, an opportunity has arisen. One of the students who attended Iris Mission School in 2008 has a desire to establish a Baby House in Madagascar and is in need of a team. I have been in touch with both Caroline and Iris and have expressed my interest to go. Nothing is certain and a great deal will have to take place for it to all happen. But my current plan would be to serve out my final 22 months to become vested (Dec 1, 2010) with the State of Georgia and in that time, sell my house and car and make preparations to go. The Baby House would be just outside the city. Today, I am considering trying to go over the summer to see what it is like...
Hey, they have a Ritz, so it can't be all bad. And yes, I would carry a pet lemur around my neck for sure.

2 comments:

  1. wow! excited for you, and i SO know how you feel. Africa is that for me too. praying for the best for you... no matter what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could only survive if you promise to skype me once a week and come and visit!!

    ReplyDelete