Thursday, November 6, 2008

Family







This is my Grandmother, Madge in South America, in the mid 1940s. We just celebrated her 90th birthday in June. Just looking back at those silly pictures from 7 years ago (entry below), I think about how quickly time has gone by. I am sure she may view a lot of her life the same way. That it seems like only yesterday she met and fell head over heels in love with Johnny Davis and just could not be without him and he whisked her away from Saluda, SC to Venezuela, SA.




She is wearing pants here! That is funny to me. She used to wear her hair in a bun when I was a kid and NEVER wore pants or drank Coke from a bottle or played cards.



And then they had these two adorable little punkins, the bald one being my sweet daddy, the older one, Republican Uncle John who likes to drive fast cars.

Ironically, they both kept journals about these times, together and apart. Madge kept one all through college filled with stories of getting up early to make biscuits (which my Father's says she NEVER made when he was a child- I guess she had a right to swear them off) and just when the journal gets juicy with mentions of a boy here or there...she writes in short hand and I haven't a clue!! I guess there are somethings best left alone, and your grandmother's love life before she met your grandfather can be one of those. He kept a journal while they were apart and he was in Venezuela alone. He talks about the money that he made and buying new suits, but mostly of missing her so bad he could hardly stand it. I need to find those and make sure they are safe and read them again. I can learn so much from their life and their love. They truly did just love each other to pieces. They would just sit on the couch and hold hands. When they were old! Papa Davis would follow her around. She was such a rock and a matriarch and so strong. She let us run wild in her house and play hard and do whatever we wanted to. I want her mantle passed down to me and my sister. Carla already carries a lot of what she was all about. I just remember her praying at the kitchen sink. She was a true intercessor. I want to be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment