Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Plans as of now

Tamara didn't want me to leave and I wasn't quite ready to have to leave early in the morning either, so it looks as if I am staying another day in Zutphen. I had great fun shopping today. I had an amazing coffee this morning at a random quaint little coffee shop that I stumbled into this morning. It was raining, but I really wanted to get out, so I put on my flip flops and rainjacket, put money in the front pocket, rolled up my pants legs and off I went. It was so wet and a little cold and the coffee shop was right there and smelled so amazing and I had just stumbled out of bed so I had to go in. It was 3.50€ but worth it. They called it Susan's special and I recognized the word hazelnoot, but that's all I know about it and it was delicious. Everyone here speaks English and they speak it very well. Most of the time they don't even have an accent and sound like they are from the midwest or something. All the shops are different, and much more different than we have. It is just the cutest little village, and there are bakery's and toy stores and it is so much fun! I could have stayed in the toy store all day long. They have those toys I dreamed of when I was a child. Castles, dragons, princess dresses, pirate ships and beautiful baby dolls. I took pictures. It all gave me an idea and I found a little infant clothing store that I had passed earlier and I went inside and got Natty a little onesie that says I love Opa!(grandfather)...they even had ones that say I love (heart) Papa, which is really what we call Dad, but Opa is just so Dutch! I stopped in at the drugstore where Mirjam works to say hello. They sell candy in the drugstore here in large bins...like the do in specialty stores in the states...all the Haribo gummy stuff. So I ate a free strawberry gummy and then Tamara dropped in because it was her lunch hour and I followed her back to her work. I went inside her work to have a coffee with her and then walked to the second hand store, but found no real treasures. They do have some cool furniture stores here. Mostly like IKEA, which I don't really like. But these are like the original IKEA-like stores. They have a neat greenhouse store that has a moving sidewalk in it and was huge, like the size of Home Depot, but all flowers and pots and plants and even live birds and rabbits! That was fun. So after Tamara came home from work she insisted on making rice and beans and eating with our hands like we did in Mozambique. It was fun for like all of one minute and then it was just gross, but I kept on doing it. I am actually quite good at it. You use your thumb to push it in your mouth and shake your hand over your plate to shake of the excess rice to be scooped up later. I watched closely. We went to the movie store and rented an independent film about a boy in Vietnam finding his father in America. It was heavy and long and depressing. So now I have tomorrow to maybe get another one of the Susan's Special Hazelnoot koffie's and window shop in Zutphen. I also want to be able to say goodbye to Mirjam and Pauline tomorrow night. I will leave Thursday morning for Amsterdam. I am still going back and forth with my contact people there, but plan on meeting up with them in the afternoon and staying the night there. I would like to see the city. One of the girls works with a prayer house, so I hope to get to go there. It will be nice to be close to the airport on Friday morning. I will just take the train from the Central Station and it is only about a 20 minute train ride. Also, the flight looks open for first class.

No comments:

Post a Comment