Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday in Pemba

It's hot. Today was just one of those days where I could not get comfortable. Our fan is broken in my bedroom so I am not looking forward to sleep tonight. I am spending more time with the children in the center. They are amazing. These kids are all orphaned, and have stories that would blow you away. Many of them Heidi brought from the garbage dump in Maputo and places she has found them. A lot of the girls have been raped and molested. I wish you could see them now. They carry such joy and are so happy and they know that they are not abandoned any longer. These children have huge smiles on their faces and they just crawl up in your lap and loved to be loved on and give love in return. The older girls love to get dressed up and braid their hair. They are beautiful. They all just know that Jesus loves them and they get it. They are true examples of child-like faith. If only we could get it so settled in our spirits that we are not alone, we are not abandoned in this world and if we could just carry the love they carry. I've especially fallen in love with Paulina. She wants me to spend the night with her. She is 8. I took her for ice cream this week. I may take her up on staying with her in the center, I think their fan is working. But I noticed they have mice. There are 6 of us here from Georgia or who have Georgia connections. We all met today for lunch. I went to an amazing beach yesterday, Merreube. It was so primitive and pristine, untouched and so beautiful. Bright clear water and white sand beaches that others pay top dollar to enjoy with hundreds of other people, was all mine and the overpriced, watered down drinks were not included. However, there was a herd of cattle walking along the north end. Wish you could have seen it...sorry for the sporaticness of the message...space bar sticks on this keyboard and I am in hot room with only 10 minutes to write, dial-up slow service and an oscillating fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment