Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I'm Home!

It was an incredibly hard trip over here. The long layovers were very tiring and I was more than exhausted and frustrated. I started to even get homesick already!!! And began to, for the first time, doubt myself. I just started to feel that I was making a huge mistake. However, when I stepped off the plane onto the ground in Africa, I knew I was home. I am supposed to be here. I love everything about it. The smells are overwhelming, but I even missed that too.
The children are amazing, they are everywhere and they hang all over you. I am quite rushed as I am at the internet cafe and with others who are leaving. So, I will promise to do a better update soon. I will write emails from home on a roommates computer and simply upload and add later. But for now, it's hot and stinky and the bathrooms are gross. The shower situation is worse than I thought. I am hoping to buy cleaning supplies and get to work. The problem is that everything is dirt and everything just stays dirty. Also, you can't flush toilet paper, which is just a small technicality.
As for the school, Bill Johnson with Bethel Church in California, preached this morning and it was amazing. Words cannot even describe it. I will try to write more and upload it when my minutes are not ticking away. I have purchased a Mozambican cell phone and will post my phone number. I can text message you! So, get those international calling cards and call me! The phone has to charge so I will post when I can, maybe tomorrow. We are pretty much in classes every day from 8-5. The cafeteria would blow your mind. Tons of sweaty kids and everyone eating rice and beans with their hands. I don't know if I can continue that diet forever and am looking for alternatives. But it is good rice and beans, just don't want to get all blown up from that much white rice.
So, pray that the living conditions will be tolerable. Specifically, the bathroom and shower situations. It is just hard to feel clean rinsing in a bucket that is already dirty water. I don't mind being dirty, just don't want to get the funk.
Also, pray that my living with 10 other people will be good. I am used to having the remote. So it is a little awkard to jump into this communal living. I am making friends though and have met some amazing people, and some from Georgia too!
I will create a good posting tonight and update on my next arrival into town and will have my phone number posted. We are 6 or 7 hours ahead of you.
Also, the school ends on August 12th I think, so there is a possibility I may come home a few days earlier than expected. The house is rented until the 16th so I may be in need of a place to stay. I will just see closer to time, the possible costs, if any for changing my flight.
Will update soon. Pray for grace and patience.
Love,
Jena
PS Beach is amazing. I got in the water a bit this morning. Hope to snorkel in the morning. We cannot go out alone and I haven't found an early rising snorkel partner just yet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it even thought it was horrible! At least the beach makes up for it.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete