Monday, September 22, 2014

Athens to Nashville to Chicago to Washington, DC to Dakar to Johannesburg to Doula, Cameroon


I am in Johannesburg. I took for granted all that lifetime of living close to Hartsfield International. I could be there in 10 minutes, door to door. I got on an international non-stop flight, from the new terminal which is a cinch and settled down to movies and melatonin and I woke up in Africa. It wasn't the case this time. This journey began as far back as last week when I took a tiny Cessna from Athens to Nashville. I mention this because I recommend it. It is a 1hr 50 minute flight on what I have only been on to island hop. But instead you get to coast over trees and subdivisions and sit right up front and text and use all your electronic devices. No flight attendants, no loo, no peanuts. Just a very easy, convenient and tiny bit thrilling flight right to the back door of the Nashville International Airport. It is quite private and the service was top notch. www.seaportair.com

I unpacked and repacked in Nashville and slept two whole nights in my own bed. I ate Mexican and fish tacos and ran in Target for last minute necessities and got a pedicure. I then took a Southwest flight from Nashville to Washington, DC. I chose DC because I have been hearing for quite some time about South African Airways offering cheaper flights than Delta to Joburg but you have to fly out of New York or Dulles. Laura just moved quite close to Dulles and the fact that this trip took me all over the African continent, I chose SAA for all those inter-continental flights and I really, really, really wanted time with Laura. I've flown SAA intraAfrica several times, but after this international experience I must warn you: there is no comparison to Delta. I felt sorry for those who paid all that money for a first class ticket when I saw their seats that did offer loads of leg room but that's about it. No snuggly private pods like Delta. No champagne. We stopped in Dakar although my itinerary said nothing about this. The food was below average. Service was intermittent, food was served before beverages leaving us all to swallow hard. My TV set didn't work. My neighbors audio was inaudible. My 17.5 hour entertainment shut off 30 minutes into Invictus and left me and my tired soul to a paperback book. I slept upright as much as possible thanks to Melatonin and sheer determination. Being 5'4" helps in times like this. But alas I am here and although collecting my bags took ages, I retrieved them and went to Woolworth's to peruse their Spring fashions and buy dinner, breakfast and lunch for tomorrow- sushi, spinach, yogurt and popcorn. I also picked up body wash and facial moisturizer in efforts to travel light and get what I can en route. I leave once again on SAA for Cameroon tomorrow afternoon. 
In and out of Chicago. Southwest let's you change your flight without fees. I like them.


I am staying overnight at the home of gracious friends of Iris Global who always allow me to stay.  They pick me up at the airport and everything. I have stayed here so often now that it has become routine and familiar. Oddly enough the house doesn't have running water at the moment, preparation for the month to come. I am trying my best to stay awake. I am grateful it isn't cold. I usually travel through SA when it is winter and it is brutally cold and quite miserable for a spoiled American used to central heat but I have learned and have my hot water bottle nearby. I can almost hear the African crow that will be waking me from the roof at sunrise. Typing this to keep my eyes open and force myself into their time zone. Safe and sound and excited to soon land in Cameroon! More soon! XO, Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment