Wednesday, March 12, 2014

9. Gossip & Negativity

I knew this one would be coming. Gossip. It is such a slippery slope and easy trap in which to fall. Christians in the name of Prayer Requests can often slide down this treacherous path (see video).  The Bible is clear about it. 

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 
Proverbs 12:28 A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends. 
Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. 
Matthew 7:12 So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. 

Matthew provides a pretty clear guideline, unless you would want it revealed about you, don't say it. Practically when I am conversing about someone else to another, I try to imagine them sitting in the room with us. This helps keep me curb my comments and remain honoring of the other person. I know people who have never said an unkind thing about anyone ever. I think about them and wonder what they would say in the situation. "What would Ann Oliver have to say about this?" Ann was a saint and she serves as a beautiful guide whenever I need a plumb line. I also have a very close friend who after listen to me skirt around an issue said, "Whatever we say between each other is sacred. I know your heart and you know mine." This relationship is precious to me as I know she is a safe place and that my comments will not be viewed as slander nor will they leave the room. She knows my heart and that the conversation is only to seek council and advice and never in malice. Only a few small number of people have that inner sanctum where all dialogue is covered and safe. Even then I think the guideline of pretending your target is in the room is still a good guideline to follow. I look at this topic as one where I have lots of room to grow! Feel free to call me out when you hear my conversation turn negative or slanderous and I will do the same. Make pacts with your closest friends to avoid gossip and define what it means to you. It takes two to tango and this one is an area where we can hold each other accountable. 

“But other people also 'invite' us to behave like victims, when they complain about the unfairness of life, for example, and ask us to agree, to offer advice, to participate.Be careful. When you join in that game you always end up losing.” 

Negativity

While working in Mozambique, I poured my heart and soul and every ounce of energy into my job. One day out of the blue one of my favorite missionaries and our ministry leaders stopped by to visit me. She beamed as she watched my students come and go from my office. Then she said two words that sustained me and constantly remain with me, "Well done." Someone I admired recognized me and my hard work. It made and continues to make all the difference, that one. positive. statement. Positivity goes a really, really, really long way. Negativity, not so much. 




No comments:

Post a Comment