Saturday, September 7, 2013

muito orgulhoso (very proud)

I've been dreaming about this day for a very long time, two years actually, maybe more. For sure more. For years and years I have been dreaming about working in Africa and helping the poor get jobs. Yesterday, ten of my students graduated from an internship at a local hotel/restaurant and I could not be more proud of them. They behaved, showed up on time, worked hard and have made me so proud. It was none of my doing but solely them just stepping up to their potential because they were given a chance. I am so honored to know these young men. Their starched clothing is deceitful. You would have to walk a day in their shoes to understand their lives and the poverty. They were promised to be the first choices in any future hiring at Kauri. The "resort" wants 10 more interns so we will resume the program in October. From this, they will receive letters of recommendation from the general manager, which should help with future employment. There are other hotels in the area and we want to help find them full time employment. Now with their experience this should be a little easier.

Cesar and Rofi (standing) still want to go to university and Amilcar (purple shirt) is anxious to get back to our Galeria dos Sonhos and we are missing him there. I am beaming. All I did was show up. I simply came here and I live my life as normally as possible. (I did dig a worm out of my finger during this ceremony.) But when I look at this picture, I don't see myself as Mother Teresa. I see stellar young men who have changed my life and a simple white girl who 10 years too late finally said yes to God's call on her life, and He redeemed it all so perfectly as only He can do.

You too can all celebrate in their accomplishment as you, my encouragers, have made this happen. Thank you.

Much love,
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment