Monday, April 29, 2013

os planos



I bought plane tickets this week! All of this could change yet again, but for now they look like this:

July 24-August 7 (Pemba-Cape Town)
August 7-8 (Joburg- Pemba)
October 7-8 (Pemba-Joburg)
October 8-9 (Joburg-Atlanta)

Since I decided to stay here longer, I have to go to South Africa to renew my visa. I opted to take a little time off and decided to take advantage of being close to one of the most fabulous cities in the world, Cape Town. It will be winter there. I am already making lists of all I want to see and do. Even shopping is secondary to finding delicious, fresh fruit and vegetables, roughage and berries and cheese. I will include you on the culinary tour. I will be staying again at the little Greek style, pale blue house with the ocean views in Simon’s Town. I will leave Cape Town and have a forced overnight stay in Joburg. Boring blah, cold Joburg. Thankfully, I leave early the following morning. Currently, the plan is to be in Mozambique until October 7th, leaving for Atlanta on October 9th. These flights are notoriously full and very hard to successfully fly via standby. Even though I am not a fan of Joburg, there are worse places to be stranded; Dar Es Salaam, the side of the road on the way to Vidagas, in front of Supermercado, Natiti village.  

I am also going to Ibo Island in May. I plan to graduate the students from the English school on May 15th. We’ve been having classes since the first of February. Adele is coming back at the end of May. We can take a short break and resume upon her arrival. I assumed Ibo was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but apparently I get to go twice. I went in 2007 and camped in tents and didn’t sleep. We drove trucks for two days to get to the wooden dhow that took us there and slept in a village after getting permission from the chief. This time I am flying and staying in a hotel. When I was there last, I stood in front of  the Ibo Island Lodge and told her, “I will be back”. And now it is happening! I will not even know what to do with myself. Three balanced meals a day and hot running water will be rare treats. I plan to snorkel, take pictures, long walks and guided tours. 

When I signed up for this gig I had no idea of the blessings, adventure and stays in the  grandest places in all the world would come along with it. Every sacrifice pales in comparison to the intricate provision.
love, grace

No comments:

Post a Comment