Sunday, March 10, 2013

i'm the owner of a bright yellow scooter!



A few weeks ago I was going to a dinner for “Women of Pemba”, a gathering of Ex Pats at a local restaurant. Applying make-up,  I was talking to my niece Catherine, age 15, via Voxer (the greatest app ever invented). She asked my plans for the evening and I told her. She offered advice as I would to her and encouraged me in my efforts to meet new friends. Then she said, “maybe one of them will have a car”. I had not realized my complaints of being without transport had made it quite that far. But apparently they have. And fortunately for me, you heard my cries. Cokesbury UMC and Hartwell First Baptist Church bought me WHEELS!!!

When I first arrived in Pemba, October 2011, I went to Osman’s (the Wal-Mart of Pemba) and bought a small 50cc scooter. It cost about $500 and I spent at least that in repairs the following year. The tiny tires were often flat and every attempt to go anywhere resulted in flat tires or breaking down on the side of the road. The first time I took it in for repairs the mechanic stripped it completely of anything valuable, replaced the battery with a cheaper one and tied it back together with string. I took it back to Osman for repairs and he kept it for over a month and charged me $300, of which I had to pay when I returned last month. 

Driving here is crazy dangerous. Every road is filled with potholes and drivers abide by no rules. I have seen countless accidents. Really bad ones with crumpled motorcycles in the middle of the road. Yet, owning a car here is time consuming, complex and expensive. Our ministry cars are often discovered as stolen and then repossessed. Mechanics can’t always be trusted. Parts are not always in supply. Paperwork and documents are huge hassles. Petrol isn’t cheap. So my only options for transport are scooter/motorbikes and walking. I’ve been walking for the past month. This scooter is way better. There apparently were only 2 in the whole town. Made in China Motorcycles are in most of the shops but 6 months later, they all look the same, falling apart, money pits. I pray this purchase is not the same. It seems a little more sturdy and has a bigger engine. It is 125cc’s and it will scoot. It will go up hills and the brakes work! As do the headlights. I am ecstatic really. I went to the little South African market on my first day and met a friend for coffee. I can fit a pineapple, four apples, and two avocado in the compartment under the seat. I was able to even pick up a friend yesterday and the two of us ride out to the beach for the day. I have friends and food! I can finally get wherever I need to go. Walking isn’t always an option. I am still in danger of being robbed whenever I carry anything on my person and sometimes even empty handed. Walking at night is out of the question. Having this scooter gives me incredible freedom and the ability to go to town to buy food and opens doors for a whole new world. Words cannot express my gratitude. I had resigned to relying on friends with cars and taxi’s but Cokesbury UMC and Hartwell First Baptist saw otherwise. I wish I could take you all for a spin and show you my utter joy and thankfulness. Blown away by your kindness. “Thank you” seems so small. Photos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment