Saturday, February 23, 2013

i live for the weekend.


Saturday again. My day for writing and resting and bathing. I’ve just hung my head over the shower and used the hose to wash my hair and slowly prepare myself for the cold water to clean my body. My hair is still in a heavy towel. This morning I took Scoot to the beach. We went to the little sad hotel. The one with the tennis courts. The place is starting to remind me of Cumberland’s Dungeoness. Abandoned ruins. It is such a pitiful little place. From afar it looks regal and I think it even boasts a 5 star rating. But it is dingy and falling apart and sad. 
There is a small patch of lush greens just off the parking lot. The birds all unidentifiable but their calls are so enchanting. I like standing there, listening. One lone tree boasts a tag identifying its species, revealing good intentions. Centipedes,  millipedes, frogs, preying mantis, spiders, line the pathway through the corridors of the hotel. The lady in the gift shop is in the same position she always is, leaning on one arm, gazing out the door; same stock of goods as last year. Hotel California runs through my head. I head straight for the beach and walk down the saggy faded wooden steps to the beach. I watch the tide and soak it in. The waves crash. I spread my oversized towel and sit with my legs crossed. I pull out my Kindle and read as the tide draws closer to my toes. I watch the tide in between chapters and decide I am only moments away from getting wet. I grab my things and find a broken plastic lawn chair and sit there for another hour, reading, piping in music from my iPod so I don’t have to listen to kids playing in the pool, screaming in Portuguese. 
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                
I have four new books. Carla gave me her library log in information and I can get e-books from her library. I am elated. It took an hour or more and cost me $4 but I have four new library books. Three are kinda boring so far but one is pretty good. A memoir about taking a year off to live in Paris. If you have any must reads please send me your lists.
I ran into the guy taking over one of the hotels earlier this week. I met him on my plane coming over. I offered to help train some of his staff, given that I could bring a few of my kids to sit in on the training. I think I could certainly assist those in training and offer some skills. He introduced me to their HR guy and we exchanged numbers. 
      --------------------------------------------------------------------                                                      
I don’t know what to do with Cesar. I think I told you he didn’t get into university. He seems discouraged and he has a bad home life. He has enrolled in our Iris Bible School. I think he may do well in our Mission School, but I don’t want to corrupt him by throwing him into a life with Westerners. He wants to study the Bible and needs a strong Christian community of adults and peers who love and encourage him. He just told me his dad has been to see the witch doctors for his paralysis. I wish he could just come and live with me, but that can’t happen. I want to work with him on his English and help him for next year’s test. I am giving him a microloan through our lending program. It seems like a drop in the bucket. Most all of what I do seems like that. Just a tiny drop. 
I’m finally in possession of a drill. Thank you Dr. Eric. And can now install my new knobs on my dresser. I am soaking dried beans to cook tomorrow and have on hand for dinners this week. It took me a good 20 minutes to clean them and sort out the rocks and what resembled, but I pray was not, rat poo. I sold my second iPhone. I bought two while in Anderson, SC on a whim while I was home and sold them both to make money here. It worked. Still anxious to get the new bike. Hoping to get a ride into town on Monday. 
I feel like I am coming down with a cold. Going to snuggle with my library books.

1 comment:

  1. Love this and love you and love books and coffee and reading and friends and Africa. So glad you have library access now. ;)

    ReplyDelete