Monday, October 22, 2012

ongoing grace


The other day during the second half of class we  were in our circle of plastic chairs, conversing. I try not to do all of the talking and just ask them questions in various tenses and we practice the vocabulary we are learning. On this day I ask the boys to give me a subject, my little evangelist, Chawale says, “Jesus”. So I wonder how in the world we are going to use our vocabulary about “directions”, “city centers”, “fruits and vegetables”, “the bakery”, and “the butcher” to include Jesus. But I just go with it. It sparks a good conversation as I try to convey to the boys how Jesus is my everything. I tell them a tiny bit about how Jesus arranged to bring me here with them and how much I love my new career. I want them to tell me about how Jesus has worked in their lives. I try to show them how to trust God in all things and want to know how He takes care of them. I am quite certain there are Muslim boys around the circle too. All of a sudden I remember that Chawale had told me he had a friend in prison and I feel compelled to ask him about him. He laughs and points to Jackson and says, “It was him”. I had been in Zambia when all this first happened and never put it all together that Chawale’s friend was one of my students! Our students come and go and it is not unusual for some to be missing for weeks at time and reappear. Jackson stands up and begins his story. He laughs a lot throughout the whole story and tells bits of it in three different languages but here is what I got:

He went to school to take a test and didn’t finish the test but was hungry so he went home and they tell him he could finish the test the next day (I still have no idea why he told this part). He was at home and apparently his neighbor came over and was angry and violent and accused him of stealing some flip-flops and two cell phones and some other things. Then Jackson fought him. Apparently the police come and Jackson goes to jail. During that time Chawale goes to see him in jail and brings him food. He tells me that the prison food is horrible. And for him to say that, it must be. These guys eat pretty much anything and never complain. It is not really in their vocabulary to “like” or “not like” a food. Food is sustenance. He says he is in jail for 20 days. He says it is awful and he is very afraid. He demonstrates what he does as he gets down on his knees, raises his hands to heaven and says, “Jesus, help me. Get me out of here”. That night he has a dream where a “white angel” walks up to him and says in English, “You will leave here tomorrow”. The following morning Jackson is called before Tribunal Court. (The same court I went to and before the same judge). He tells the judge that he is innocent and that he didn’t steal. Jackson says his fines total over 7,000 mets. That’s over $250. Most people make about 100-200 mets a day. This is a lot of money. The judge asks him, “Where do you go to school?”. Jackson tells him he goes to the Iris Vocational School. Then the judge says, “This is the first time I have seen you here and I want it to be the last. Go to the Vocational School and stay out of trouble”. He then waives Jacksons fines and lets him go. Jackson got set free! He was found not guilty. The judge set him free. He says he again dropped to his knees and thanked God right there in front of everyone. He told us that that judge knows God too. 

My mouth was wide open during the whole telling of this story. I am trying to listen as he goes from Portuguese to Makua to English and I am processing the words that he said and the story begins to translate. The judge let him go. I can’t know for sure but this same judge I stood before let my student go. I know the judge knows what I do and where I work. He sent his clerk to my office door to give me my summons. He let Jackson go! He had mercy on him. The judge had mercy on my innocent little Jackson. I will never know if my actions a few months ago impacted this judge, but all I know is Jackson had an encounter and was given grace in the same room where I gave what little I had and it’s changed him. I remain just blown away by this majestic God we serve. He takes care of his children. He sets the captives free. He restores justice. He is good. 

1 comment:

  1. wow Grace this is such an incredible story... have you got a blog post about what happened to you before this judge? I don't know that part of the story...

    ReplyDelete