Thursday, May 17, 2012

that was fast

I am back in the very spot where I last wrote about coming home, in Johannesburg. I was so Christmas morning ecstatic to be coming home. It was all I ever hoped for and so much more. I wished I had journaled about it all but I didn't even keep a calendar. But I basically had something to do every single day and stayed really busy. I didn't get to see or talk to half the people I wanted to. I never anticipated being so busy and having so many dinners and engagements. I made new friends and got to connect with old ones. I got to speak to a few new places and got to report back to those who have been with me from the beginning. It all went by way too fast. But it is time for me to be back in Mozambique where I belong.

Yesterday Mom drove me as far as Howell Mill where we went to one of my favorite brunch spots, West Egg Cafe. Then we shopped in all the pretty design shops. I smelled candles and lusted after Brahms Mount blankets. We went in anthropologie and I bought a handbag and drawer pulls. Mother bought out Ballard's. The entire time I was keenly aware of the contrast I was about to enter.

Then I drove myself to the Gold Dome and Betty drove me to the airport. Apparently they opened a new international terminal yesterday, just for me. I had two oversized bags and Shane at the Delta counter, although was not able to send my bags all the way to Pemba, didn't charge me for the extra weight. I zipped through security and was disappointed to only see a few small shops, and a few fast food restaurants on the upstairs level. But it was all squeaky clean and not busy at all.

I am notorious for seeing people I know and this time I saw Shelia Lavalle. And later, boarded my flight along with Marilyn Hickey. Remember her?

I took melatonin and slept like a baby. I watched a whole bunch of movies and just when I thought I would scream if I didn't get off that plane, we were landing. As I opened my Passport to go through customs I noticed my Visa said "Multiple Entry" which made me read further of the fine print. I had called about this Visa numerous times. Each time I was either put on hold, given voice mail, told to email or that they would call me back. The times I did get a live person, they were no help. I got a live person the last time I called and was told my passport was on the way and that I was granted the 180 day Visa. When it arrived I simply looked at the date of expiration, November 12th, 2012. I didn't see what I saw so apparently today, 30 DAY VISA!

So now I am headed to Pemba for 180 days on a 30 day Visa. I am praying and I do feel peace. It will work out. It may mean I get to go to Kenya or Malawi or maybe even Zimbabwe. I specifically came home when I did because I wanted to come home each time and reapply for the 180 day Visa to "save money". This will cost. So I am giving this one up to God and His plans and His keen ability to turn it all around to make it look like He meant for it to happen all along.

I am leaving for Pemba in the morning. I am excited to be going home!! I made so many new connections back in Georgia that I am also already anticipating our times together. Kinda like that quote, "Wherever you go, there you are!". Tomorrow I will be in Pemba where I belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment