Monday, November 14, 2011

a day at the beach


I was really hoping to add to these and will when the internet permits. This weekend was extraordinary. Just an exclamation point on the extravagant love of God and His desire for us to ENJOY! I can't believe that this is my life. I cannot believe that it took me so long to get to this place. I can't believe that what all I gave up gets turned back into the richest blessings. I used to live to get down to Sea Island or Seaside once a year. It still has not hit me that I live here on the most beautiful beach in the world. I could paint a bleak picture of my life of suffering; the heat, intermittent water and electricity, life in the 5th poorest country in the world. It is pretty spartan, a life so different than one in the West. But days like this are so lavish and so rich and so majestic that I can't not share them. 
Saturday, I woke up early and joined a boat of friends. The boat is wooden and leaks but has a motor and a Mozambican driver. I recognize him. He took me out the last time I went. I have my own snorkel and mask but I grab a pair of fins and hoist myself in. We lather each other in sunscreen and scan the horizon as we coast on water smooth as glass. It is worth getting up early. The sea at 7am is breathtaking. So still. 
We see a school of dolphin and the Captain brings our boat up next to them. We quickly put on our gear and flop out of the boat. I see them coming! I plop my face in the water and swim toward them!! They are so close. They swim right underneath me. I have trouble even keeping my eyes open because a whole school of very big mammals is swimming toward me and I want to close them tight, but they dive deeper and swim right underneath me. I can hear them! They swim off and we pull ourselves back into the boat and set off to chase them again. We found them another time or two but only got really close that first time. It was worth it. Some times they stay and play and swim in circles and let you swim with them. Not too disappointed, we then went over to the beach at Londo and snorkeled in the reef. So many fish, so many colors, so many varieties. Did you know there is a fish out there with the face of a dog and the tiniest little fins that flutter to keep his very large body afloat? I love the underwater world. 
We came back by 11 or so and showered off and gathered up our blankets and snacks and hats and more sunscreen for a beach picnic. We drove out in 4x4 Land Rovers to a very remote beach, primitive, pristine, untouched. You can have your Seaside and your Sea Island, give me Maranganha! White sand, crystal clear water, seashells by the seashore. We unloaded our baskets and pots of pasta and potatoes and joined our friends roasting chicken on a makeshift grill. While snorkeling at Londo my friend, Annelie spotted a man walking along the shore with three large lobster. She offered him 250 Mets ($10) and we rode back with lunch. We threw them on the grill too along with garlic butter bread and pulled icy Cokes in bottles from the cooler. We feasted. Bridget passed around a loaf of banana bread, sliced neatly with Johan's pocket knife, and we feasted some more. We put a kettle of coffee on. We spread out our capalanas and kikoys and napped in the shade. 
Annelie and I decided to walk off our lunch and walk back up the beach where we were meeting a large group for a birthday bonfire. We walked along the rocks and watched the sun slowly set and there are no words to describe it. Pictures won't even do it justice. We joined the bonfire and passed around cookies and sweets and sipped coffee. Then, just as the stars came out, the moon began to peek up over the ocean. It was deep red, then vibrant orange and we all stood in silent awe and wonder as we watched the moon rise to position in the sky and light a path across the sea. This was my Saturday. 
I can't help but shake my head and wonder how many more days like this will be set before me. Better is one day in Your house than thousands elsewhere. I got glimpse, a little Heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment