Friday, October 14, 2011

i got digits!

I am having to exercise a whole new level of patience with the internet here. I write this from my home and then walk down the hill and pray that I can log on and wait for what seems like an eternity for sites to load. I can’t complain because at least I have some form of communication, however slow it may be. It does seem that my gdavis@irismin.org account or even facebook load faster than my other email. So at the moment, those are the better places to reach me. And now I have DIGITS!! I got my Mozambican phone! Yesterday was full of typical African style accomplishments. I had every intention of going into town but still wanted to get a few of my things from the other base that I left here in April, but don’t have a car so I ran up to a missionary driving away and asked which way she was headed. She graciously took me to the other base, despite being headed in the other direction and then so happened to also be going to mcel. So I accomplished both tasks by simply flagging down the right person at the right time. The country code for Moz is 258, then my number is 824077677. Text or call any time! Well, not any time. I am 6, about to be 7 hours ahead of you, when you “fall back”. If you live in Georgia. 
Those two tasks took a good part of the day, as did getting online to post the previous blog. But now I have my mosquito net and a phone so I can count it a productive day. Now I just have to hang the net...
Today I am speaking to a small group of mission school students who have enlisted in course on Practical Missions. ME? Seriously? Who’da thunk? I am going to share the vision for the school, for vocational training and talk with the students about their own personal visions for missions and perhaps find a few that might want to help us with what we are doing while they are here for the next 3 months. That meeting is in 20 minutes. I love the wardrobe for meetings here. Back home we have a attire known as Sea Island casual. I reckon here it is Wimbe Beach casual and it is incredibly comfortable, as creative as you want it to be, and fully you, whoever you are, as long as your knees are covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment