Saturday, July 16, 2011

the need

Dear Friends,
How the journey began:
Ten years ago I drove to Atlanta on a Wednesday afternoon for two interviews, one with the Georgia House of Representatives, the other with the Peace Corps. I was hired by the General Assembly on the spot.  Yet, in the past ten years I have been to Africa, Central America, and Asia, all continents radically changing my worldview and my perspective on most everything.
Since 2007, I have been working alongside a non-governmental organization (NGO), Iris Ministries, volunteering, visiting and helping in small ways. On a recent trip to Mozambique, I shared my dream with them to create a vocational school.  My dream is consistent with their vision for this part of the world and they have graciously agreed to partner with me on this venture.
To prepare, I have been reading economist’s findings on how economic development and job creation are crucial to eradicating poverty. There is a vast need for a skilled labor force and African youth need to be equipped and empowered to create self sustaining businesses. Iris has agreed to build a two-room school for the purpose of training and equipping youth.  I have received donated curriculum and have a team of volunteers in place to help. We have students who are anxious to learn.
After considering all NGO options available to me, Mozambique feels like home. I have friends there. They know me. I trust them. They are allowing me to dream, to plan and to create. The entire organization is operated by volunteers and feeds 30,000 people a day. They provide orphans, educate children, hold medical clinics, drill wells, establish sustainable village models and so much more. They have invited me to come and be a part of this work as Director of the Vocational School. There is nothing else I would rather do.
What I will be doing:
Essentially I will be working in an orphanage, training and equipping children ages 14-18, who will eventually have to move out of the orphanage and into village life. We want to teach practical job skills and have hands on training clinics in areas such as mechanics and brick making. In addition, I anticipate the school becoming nationally certified to train community health workers and teachers.  Because tourism is a growing industry in the area, we can serve as a training center for businesses to equip our students in the area of hospitality. In addition, we will teach English, the language of business. The potential for business influence and training is limitless!
The next step:
I have arranged for a group in Durban, South Africa to conduct two week long clinics teaching practical job skills. A doctor from New England wants to come and bring microscopes and train these young adults in medical diagnostics as lab technicians.  Hotels in the area that are short-staffed need waiters, receptionist and housekeepers have offered to hire our graduates.  An Oklahoma banker has agreed to help write curriculum to teach basic accounting and money management principles.  I simply need to go, teach and administrate.
 
 
How you can participate:
I have made a two year commitment, but cannot do the work alone. I need your help. I am looking for individuals and businesses to help support the work and join in the endeavor. There are many creative ways that you can assist in this project, some of which could be hands-on training in your particular field.  Your involvement could also provide inspiration for those who may be facing a life of hopelessness. Philanthropic contributions from businesses and individuals allow efforts like this one to change a nation, a city, a village and a life.
 I am in need of monthly support of approximately $2,000 to cover costs of living, including travel and medical insurance expenses.   
5 supporters @ $100, 20 supporters @ $50 and 16 supporters @ $30 monthly would meet this need. However, larger one time donations of $1000 and/or $500 would be extremely helpful, especially in initial preparation, helping to meet my immediate needs.

Any donation you can make to help me achieve this goal is deeply appreciated.  If you need more information or have suggestions or ideas, please feel free to contact me @ jgracedavis@gmail.com or 404-312-0479.  I hope to post updates here weekly. Thank you!
 
Blessings.

                   
Tax-deductible donations payable to
ALF
Jene Davis
7406 Reed Creek Highway
Hartwell, Georgia 30643

Electronic Donations via PayPal payable in boxes in the upper right hand corner.

www.irismin.org
 
 
"The key to poverty alleviation is economic growth and the creation of employment for all".
Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in Africa, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment