Saturday, May 14, 2011

the news


I am moving to Mozambique. I plan to leave September 25th-ish. I will be the director of a vocational school with an NGO (non-governmental organization), teaching job skills. The vision grows larger every day, but for now we want to teach: 
English 
mechanics
brick making
carpentry
plumbing
wound care
medical diagnostics (lab technicians)
hospitality and tourism
finance 101
We want to serve as a liaison between our students and local businesses and train them in areas that are needed in the community. These students have grown up in our children's center and will have to leave when they turn 18. They need skills to help them survive when living in the village. We want to raise up leaders to help those around them. Job creation is a huge key in eradicating extreme poverty. 
I looked into every development organization that exists, almost. I applied for dozens of jobs with federal and private organizations that work with the extremely poor. None of them felt quite right. I have relationship with my friends at Iris and the children there. I love their heart. They are like family and ran solely by volunteers. They have become my heroes, all there just doing what they feel called to do to help the one in front of them. I need my family and friends to help send me to do the work.  I won’t need much. Just food, transportation and health insurance. I hate asking for money. I know there has to be a better way. But for now, this is my option, having you help send me. If you want to join in and help me in this venture, I would love your help. If you want to come teach your skill or trade or English or just come and visit, let me know. I would love to show you around and put you to work.
I have been waiting for this moment for a long, long time. I cannot believe it is finally here. It’s going to be wild.

2 comments:

  1. Grace. Have you read "When Helping Hurts" or "Dead Aid?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Dead Aid and parts of a book called Walking with the Poor, as well as Yunus' stuff seen here. And African Friends and Money Matters (which I have and will loan to you because it is wonderful) I will check out When Helping Hurts, and by that I mean literally, at the library. Because I am cool like that. Anything I need to know?

    ReplyDelete