Friday, April 15, 2011

sittin' waitin' plannin' dreamin'


My last day in Cape Town was perfect. I got to have a warm breakfast of strong coffee, spinach and feta croissant, side of eggs soft scrambled with my new friend, Caroline at The Olympia Cafe and Deli in Kalk Bay.  The bay, the ships, the shore, the conversation, the coffee,.all so perfect. I even got to go back to Groot Constantia and taste the wine Napoleon drank. I didn't even ask. They lady just gave it to me. She reminded me of Aunt Pittypat. She said I was not supposed to have it and it was not on the tasting list, but I think she liked me and she pulled it from the shelf. Or maybe she just wanted a taste herself, either way, I loved it. She says that they still find bottles from time to time along shores in various places. The bottles are marked with a seal within the glass reading Groot Constantia. She said they have found them as far away as Maryland and shipwrecks have revealed whole bottles, empty. Maybe she had been hitting the sauce all morning or maybe it is true, either way, the entire experience was incredible fun. I am now at the end of my journey and unwinding in Johannesburg. I have another day here before attempting to board as a standby passenger Delta's direct flight home.

1 comment: