Friday, October 29, 2010

Sckanon?

During my trip to Kansas, Laura and I would hear this each morning from the backseat of her Honda Odyssey. Little Owen asking, "What's going on?" But in his two year old voice. It came out, "Sckanon" and Hailey, Laura and I merged it into our everyday lingo. So here's what's "sckanon" with me.






Maggie from Ohio with an Irish Accent
 My friend Maggie came to visit! She came to spend time with her Londoner friend Jessica who was in Atlanta for a wedding. It was such an incredibly, amazing blessing. A new friend I have come to know better and an even newer friend, I have found. Two amazing women who came to spend a few days in my city and share their lives with me. They encouraged me, fed me, physically, spiritually and it was all lovely. They made fun of my accent and I tried to mimic theirs, Irish and British mixed together. I gave Maggie by best Scarlet O'Hara, per her request, and I think she was impressed. Little does she know I could start at the very beginning of the movie with the Tarleton boys wooing Scarlet on the front porch and begging her to save a dance for them at the BBQ over at Twelve Oaks, but I didn't want her to know how Southern I really am. It's thick, Maggie. I confess.

We had a perfect dinner at Rosebud and by perfect I pretty much mean perfect. We could not decide on what to get so we got a table full of starters and sides and a lovely Pinot and it was all perfection. We spent a night at Serenbe and it was pretty perfect too. Lovely chats on the porch or by the pool in the big swing. On one of our walks I really wanted to jump on the trampoline and as soon as I asked if anyone else wanted to jump I thought, "Grow up". But they said YES! And I was elated because of course I wanted to jump, but would have looked like an idiot solo on the trampoline, showing off my toe touch while my chic European friends watched this country bumpkin yelling, "Come on y'all". Thankfully they wanted to jump too and it made us all giggle a little and it was silly fun. Then Jessica suggested we go for a swim and I knew I had found friends for life. Friends who are willing to jump in cold water just because the sun is out and you can't swim every day and it's invigorating. So we all went swimming. In October. Of course, it was at least 80 degrees out. When we first arrived I overheard the check-in lady tell Jessica that the pool was not heated. Ha! She doesn't know us. "We came here to jump on the trampoline, brave the chilly water, hike your trails, eat your peanut butter cookies. No we are not twelve, but we remember what it feels like and we recreate it as often as we can". 
Sweet Jessica, from London by way of Ireland and Boston
You have no idea.
Girls.



No comments:

Post a Comment