Monday, September 20, 2010

No place like it.

The latter days of my visit were a blur of chasing Owen and holding that sweet baby girl, "Ma-weee", as Owen says. The baby was born on Thursday. All I can really say at this very moment is, I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!! Laura and I talked about her busy life, one full of pressure and responsibility and little sleep. She admits it can be overwhelming but she wouldn't change a thing. She is madly in love with her family and she loves her life and loves being a mother. Carla and I have talked about it too. She says having a family is a lot of work. It is full of great pleasure and great pain. I feel a bit selfish and spoiled in my narcissistic life of one. But, oh my, I have come home madly in love with this life that is mine. Sleeping in (or sleeping at all for that matter), hot baths, reading books, no agenda, The Today Show, privacy, shopping, quiet, things in place, no diapers to change or mouths to feed. This list is endless. One certainly cannot compare and say that one is superior to the other. That is simply not the case. After 10 days of living with my best friend one thing I can say is, Laura is one of the most strong and patient women I know. Her ability to remain calm amidst absolute chaos, astounds me. The other thing I can say is, better her than me! I take so much for granted. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want. I have so much freedom. The world is mine. Target is mine. The Library is mine. Extra long vacations are mine. Weekends at the Beach. Weekends in the Mountains. Europe. Summer in Africa. Life in Africa. Anything I want to watch on TV is mine. Anything I want to listen to on my iPod is mine at any volume. This whole entire day is mine, to do whatever I want (aside from the 9-5). I can spend all my money on me. I love me. I love quiet. I love books. I love salad for dinner out of a mixing bowl. I love dinner in front of Top Chef. I love 10 hours sleep. I love music. I love my routine. I love not having a routine. I love long walks alone with my iPod. I am so incredibly, endlessly blessed. Currently, barren and single and so so so so blessed. I am basking in the peace of this life that is mine. It's so incredibly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment