Monday, June 14, 2010

Saturday




Despite working lots and hitting the jackpot at "da Club" last night (Thanks, party of 6, for individually ordering glasses of the same wine at $11 a glass when you totally could have just bought a bottle for way cheaper), I got to go to Carla's on Saturday. We had Mexican Siesta. Yes, I know it is "Fiesta", but Emma Grace got them mixed up when she was 2 and it is now stuck in my head that way. Carla made Mexican Bean Casserole, Spring Mix Salad with Cucumber and Tomato and Cream Cheese Black Bean Apricot Chutney Something or Other Dip. I brought Roasted Red Pepper Greek Yogurt Dip.

Courtesy of the Kroger Clearance Aisle. Yes, I am that girl. I buy discounted grocery items. It's an obsession. I pay no attention to expiration dates. Especially on yogurt items. It is already cultured milk anyway, so how can it be spoiled-spoiled milk? What's another day? or two? or seven? But that just pertains to my own consumption. And family Mexican Siesta's. If you have me over, I will make it fresh. From scratch. No where near the expiration date. I promise. In a fancy dish and everything.
The girls had a Lemonade Stand. They were raising money for childhood cancer. They raised $70! In their little neighborhood. Evidently there is this organization, "Alex's Lemonade Stand".

They send you all you could ever need to host your own stand, a banner, lemonade, bracelets, even temporary tattoos. I am still sporting mine. I got a Mason jar from the kitchen cabinet, poured it half full with tea and then went outside to the Stand and topped it off with lemonade and sat with Catherine, under the umbrella, sipping my Arnold Palmer, and applied my Tat with a wet paper towel. It was hot. Catherine read her library book and I smiled big at passers by, trying to lure them in for a refreshing beverage. We had one taker. The man from across the street. I spent the rest of the time trying to think of a really good excuse to go inside. Mom and Dad arrived and I seized the opportunity and went inside to "visit" with them.

Having just gotten back from Bolivia, they brought presents. I got a necklace. It is gorgeous. I will show you. Carla and crew had just been to the beach. They gave me a neclace too. It is pretty. It is beaded. I love it. I am wearing it now. With my pink jcrew beaded t-shirt. Black skirt. Target open toe heels, which I hate. They make loud noise when you walk. Hair in same half-pony tail thing it was in all day yesterday at work. I slept with it up. Got up. Smoothed it with my hands. Voila'. I hate combing my hair. This is a joy of being an adult. I don't have to. So I don't. But if you have me over, I will comb it and wash it and everything.
After present opening, I lured the boys out on the back porch for decent sunlight with the point and shoot and took these:

Poor Carson. He got glasses. We all had glasses. Dad, Carla, me. It kinda makes me sad, because they are no fun. I had Lasik. But how cute is this face? And so cute with his little specs. And silly bands. And pursed lips. And ear lobes. And my sister's face.
He makes this face all day long. It is his, "I am about to tell a joke but would not dare actually laugh" Face. He is the straight man for sure.
And then there's this guy. Nathaniel. Or as he calls himself, "Natty the Two Year Old".
He went down for a nap while we were there, but when he woke up we had left. Carla said he was upset and kept saying, "But I NEED them". I need you too, Natty. In my arms, your cheek on my lips. Forever and a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment