Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Member Number 1234

I feel like a professional daydreamer. I worked again this weekend and spent 24 hours in this little abyss at the country club. I don't even have a place to write down my genius that I think up as I sit there. I am often with another person, so I am distracted and feel rude if I ignore them and escape into my own world of thoughts and prose and pontification and jotting notes on my order pad. So I am frustrated with this inability to be writing and journaling and playing keys, but I know this is only a season. But here goes my entry for today:

You know how sometimes you spot someone and you immediately think, "I want to know that person" or "That is a quality human being"? You don't know how you know or what it is about them that draws you to them, but they carry something. This weekend I waited on a table where I saw a familiar face. I honestly could not recall his name. I give them all nicknames there anyway. Don't tell them that. But there is Pink Fox Fur Lady, Big Fat Ring on Every Finger Lady, Big Red Hair Ninety Nine Year Old Lady, Drinks Wine with a Straw Lady, and that is all the same person. There is Orville Redenbacher, Botox Gone Bad Lady, Really Old Man Who Eats A Hamburger Every Single Sunday and Chases It With Scotch and Hell He's Lived This Long I Might Just Try That Too Man. There is Could You Be More Pretentious and Where Do They Sell Those Argyle Sweaters You Wear Man. And If Our Lack of Sugar in the Raw Offends You That Badly I Would Hate to See You When Real Tragedy Strikes. Oh and I can't forget Owns a Jet But Steals Dessert Off the Sunday Brunch Bar Man. Love that guy. And Fake Knocker Ladies 1-247. Well, this guy is How Sweet Are You Man. He has this look on his face that says, "I am kind and you can trust me". It is honestly the only time that I really wanted to pull up a chair and join the table. He's about Dad's age. Gentle. Sweet. You can tell he has a daughter. He came in on Saturday and again on Sunday. Both times with his wife and both times, bringing a single woman as a guest. He sat there for an hour or more and listened while his wife visited with the young female and he just smiled. On Sunday, they had clearly just come from church and he was obviously graciously hosting a girl, about my age and taking her out for Brunch. I love anybody that takes along a third wheel and makes them feel loved. I am sure he told his wife, "Honey, let's find a lonely, hungry single girl at the Methodist Church this morning who is probably gonna have a Lean Cuisine if we don't ask her out to eat and see if she is interested in an all you can eat buffet, dessert included".

The minute I approached his table I remembered his familiar kind face and I instantly thought, "I really like this man and I really would like to know more about what he is all about". An hour later, he asked me to lunch. I thought the whole thing was a bit bizarre as it all just sprung out of idle conversation, but we found common ground and evidently he thought I was worth getting to know as well. And I am smiling even now as I recall my previous entry about the ladies down by the tennis courts. I wanted to play too. Real bad. Just one serve. A hard one. Right inside the line. I wanted those ladies to see me. I didn't like being invisible. I didn't like that they flaunted their stupid overpriced sweaters. I can get mine next season at TJ Maxx for half price. So there. So now Member Number 1234 is asking me to lunch! The girl who has to park in the back forty field and walk through the dungeon entrance in the back with all the garbage and soiled linens is going to lunch with one of  "the rich folks". So now I really must quit calling them all that and judging them so. Tsk. Tsk. They now have names and are no longer numbers and they drive cars and they came and picked me up in one.

I am still sitting here thinking about the irony of all that, the fact that he wanted to meet with me, because I had something to offer. He took time to learn about me and my background and discovered that I just might have something that he needs. And of course, I am more than willing to help. And now I get redeemed. Just a tiny bit. It's no Queen Esther or anything, but it is a tiny way of God winking at me and saying, "I see you. You are not invisible at all". He is so good. That is such a God thing. So evident of how He works. Love that Guy. He never ceases to amaze me.

Member Number 1234 and I covered some good ground today. I can help him with his project for certain. I intend to fully educate myself on his non-profit endeavors and will connect him with all resources that I have. In turn, I am just excited to see his kind face at my table in the months ahead. And he will serve as a reminder to "see" others as I want to be seen. Stop for the one. Love the one in front of me. Don't judge, even the dude that steals the bread pudding. God loves him too. What are you doing to me Lord? Whatever it is, make it stick. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment