Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Birthday Girl

Catherine turned 12 on August 20th. I was not there for the event, but left a present in the hall closet before I left for her to open. The party was on Sunday, the day I got back. I was exhausted and only able to stay awake thanks to the constant drip of caffeine in my veins. Catherine refused to show her braces. Carson loved his present from Africa. Nathaniel was sleepy. Gracie refused to have her picture made. Carla prepared a Sunday Dinner feast of ham and macaroni and cheese and green beans and rolls and pineapple casserole and chocolate cake and brownies and banana pudding. Delicious. I become a weepy mess when I think about this girl being born and how it was the most exciting day of my life, hands down. I flew 90 miles an hour to Gainesville when I found out Carla was being induced. But I got there in plenty of time and poor Carla was in labor for soooooo many hours and it was just awful. But then she arrived and had the most stunning face of any human I had ever laid eyes on. Even the nurses agreed. Her lips were so full and rosy and she looked just like my sister and at that moment I knew there was a God and how life is such an absolute miracle. For 12 years now I have been speeding over to my sisters to get shugar (check out Natty's earlobes and neck, my new favorite) and she keeps having babies so there is always someone to snuggle and I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment