Wednesday, January 7, 2009

This girl

Used to be in my Biology 101 class with Dr. Hitt at North Georgia. Our Sophomore year, she lived on my hall in the dorm.
Then, she was in my History class with Dr. Jones and we studied together. We would make up silly acronyms to memorize all the dates and events and kingdoms and wars, Istanbul, Constantinople and such. She would also make up songs about them too. We would laugh so hard that our tummies hurt. She was the best study partner ever!
Then she moved to the trailer park, Laurel Heights (This was a cool thing to do in case you were wondering). So this meant that every time it rained, I heard her knocking on my screen door. (Storms in the North Georgia Mountains are to be taken seriously!)
Then she moved in with 'Nessa and me in that hot-as-blue-blazes house we lived in. She drove a grey Grand Am. One time when I was riding in the car with her, a guy was riding her tail. Laura is the most laid back, kind, sweet, gentle person I know, and I was watching her closely to see how she would react. She says, "Watch this!" and pulls the lever on the steering wheel for the windshield cleaner. The little things on the hood were warped or bent or something and squirted so high I don't think any fluid even landed on her windshield, but all over the guy behind us. Sure enough, he had to clean his windshield and he backed off. What was so funny was her defiant attitude of how she has this guy right where she wanted him and was going to use her "secret weapon" to cut him off her tracks.
Then, I was in her wedding and watched her marry a man in a uniform, John.
Then, she moved back in with me for a tiny bit, when she finished out a semester at NGC and Lt. John was in Hawaii.
Then, I got to go to Hawaii and visit her. And we laughed and giggled again till our tummies hurt. There were lots of limousines in Hawaii and Laura said they were all David Hasselholf, stalking us to be on Baywatch. We shopped in Tiffany's in our bathing suits and coverups with sand on the backs of our legs.
Then, she had a baby, a girl, Hailey.
Then they moved to Alabama and I went to visit. We went to the tanning bed as there was absolutely nothing else to do in Dothan, AL. But I am sure we laughed and giggled till our tummies hurt.
Then she moved to Tennesse. I visited there too. We made cake.
Then she moved to DeRidder, LA. She made a few trips home to Fayetteville, GA during this time and we met at the infamous Fayette Pavilion and shopped and laughed and giggled some more. She bought me a t-shirt on one occasion that said, "I love you, but I am not in love with you" that she forced me to wear to send a message to a certain someone and I did, because I didn't want to let her down. Turns out he was so dumb, he didn't even get it. We would close down the TJ Maxx and even try on clothes in aisles after they closed the dressing room and rely on each other for approval. One time, we showed up wearing the same shirt! A GAP favorite tee.
Then, she had another baby, Owen. He is soooo cute.
Then, just yesterday, she moved again, to Kansas. I have already checked flights to Kansas City, and found one way flights for $59! We only see each other about once a year, but we talk almost every day. She is amazing. She is a great mom and cook and a Pilate's instructor! She talked to me in the car as they were driving to Kansas as if she was just going to Wal-Mart. I would have been a basket case! And she had a baby in the backseat! She never ceases to amaze me. I envy her life and she envies mine. I make her appreciate her life and she makes me appreciate mine. Proverbs 27:17 (NLT) As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.

3 comments:

  1. I love all the thought you put into this article about me and our years of friendship. I am reading it again for the second time and it warms my heart. You are awesome and I am looking forward to many more years of frienship and memories together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made John read this and he said to tell you he was disappointed that there was only one line about him and that it was about him in a uniform. ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous- AKA Laura: Tell John I could write pages about him, but I didn't want him to get MAD when I tell about him getting in trouble in Dr. Jones' class, or his pressure washing business, or all his antics and tricks he plays on poor innocent, unsuspecting people. But he is my favorite soldier and I am proud to just know him.

    ReplyDelete