Sunday, November 16, 2008

Trail Run

Well, I did the Serenbe 15K trail race without you. It poured rain the night before and I just knew that it would be raining the next morning. However, I woke up before the alarm to the quiet sounds of East Point and no rain drops on my roof and took that as a sign to just go for it. I didn't even make coffee, I just got dressed and drove south. I thought for sure it would start raining and I would use that as my excuse to head to the Blue Eyed Daisy for coffee and a hot breakfast. When I got there all the other gung-ho runners were warming up. I was bundled up in rain gear, but they were all in shorts and tshirts. So I shed my hooded jacket and braved the cold with the rest of them. The whole race was done Serenbe style. (http://www.serenbe.com/) By this I mean, yummy hot coffee with real creamer in a large thermos awaited me at the Registration Booth. As well as four large brown pastry boxes of baked goods. I grabbed a cookie the size of a salad plate and put it in my goodie bag for later. The race was small so nothing was super official, no time chips, no official start time. They even waited on those standing in line at the porta potties before we started. They prayed and off we went. The first mile or so were through the little town of Serenbe, toward the newly developed area called The Grange. We then hit the woods. Most of the first mile in the woods seemed to be wet and muddy. It took me awhile to get accustomed to running on wet leaves, but soon the views and moist air and the sun shining on bright yellow leaves and Misty Edwards worship on my iPod whisked me away to another place. So it was fun! About mile 7 I was ready for a break and pulled out my secret weapon...gummies. I ate my carefully selected individually wrapped in packages of 5, gummy lifesavers, berry flavored, and got a nice little sugar rush to push me through till the end. The end was pretty cruel, with steep, narrow hills, and steps and even a tree across the path that I had to hoist myself up to climb over. At the end, the Serenbe owners, Steve and Marie Nygren were there serving what I assume to be Sweetwater 420 (cold beer) from a keg in transparent Dixie cups. Phidippides, the local running store, had a booth giving out Snickers Marathon Bars and I recognized the lady working the booth as the sister of a House member and introduced myself. She gave me a box of Marathon Bars, a whole box! Yipee! I got my drifit tshirt and went to the Bakery for breakfast. I had eggs and grits and whole wheat toast with yummy homemade jam that had cranberries in it! I read the New York Times and drank coffee and put on my Patagonia and walked around the shops and blended into the small quaint little town for an hour or so until my tired legs could walk no longer and I came back inside the Perimeter, poured a big ole glass of milk and ate the most yummy cinnamon, oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever had. And after running 9.3 miles, I felt no remorse. P.S. This guy wrote about the race too. Evidently someone got ran over by a deer? http://run100miles.com/race-reports/serenbe-15k-race-report/

No comments:

Post a Comment