Wednesday, November 19, 2008

God and Chihuly

Ephesians 3:14-20 -The Message
My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.
God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

As Tenia Workman says, "her cornbread ain't cooked". This phrase may also go through your mind as you read what I am about to say. But, I really don't care. I have suffered much to be at a place in my life where I finally relinquish self and seek His face and can actually hear Him speak. So this is what He told me:
Last night in class we were all told to lie still, asking God what He thought of us. I am the world's worst at this kind of stuff. I am not a seer, not imaginative and don't really think of myself as creative. When I am still and attempt to focus and ask God questions, all I hear is, "go pick up the drycleaning, you forgot to pay the gas bill, you need to make a hair appointment, you need to call Chairman Whatshisface tomorrow first thing". But I tried. In the still and in the quiet, I heard Him say, "What do you want?". And I asked, in a very selfish way, not expecting to get answer, for pearls. Yes, pearls. I like pearls. I was wearing a strand at the time. I was on my face and the pearls around my neck had fallen across my cheeks. So I asked for the first thing of beauty that came to mind. He said, "Okay, what else?". So I replied, "Diamonds". These need no explaination. Who doesn't want diamonds? He replied, "Ok, what else?". I was really taken aback that I felt like I was truly having dialogue with the Creator of Heaven and Earth, so I said, "Chihuly glass". I love Chihuly glass and find it lovely and a symbol of beauty and oppulence. It is the Picasso of glass. http://www.chihuly.com/

I heard Him chuckle and this is what He said to me:


"I give you pearls because the oceans belong to you and everything that dwells in the ocean's depths is yours. I give you oceans filled deep and wide with oysters, full of pearls that all belong to you. I will place them before you to gather, like a treasure hunt or a game of hide and seek that delights you. I could give you diamonds that are found deep in the Earth on the continent of Africa, but how about diamonds that have hearts, ten fingers, ten toes, bright smiles, diamonds in the rough on the continent of Africa? These diamonds shine much brighter and you will delight in them much more than any real diamond. There are diamonds in the rough of Africa that I have set before you, to go and find and gather for me. You ask for Chihuly glass that is vibrant, full of color and glistens, but I would I would like to give you colorful eyes and let you watch them turn from blue, to gray, to brown and watch the colors of blind eyes turn and watch them see living color for the very first time. Wouldn't you like to see blind eyes open? This is the gift that I would like to give you".

I'm either psycho or on the verge of something great. I can't wait to find out.


1 comment:

  1. i'm gonna venture to say it's the latter of your two options!

    ReplyDelete