Monday, July 16, 2007

Life in the Dirt

My group left Friday morning for the bush bush and returned last night. I don't think I have ever been so dirty before. It was quite an experience. I really need to process it all before I write more about it. The village was very receptive and welcoming. We pitched our tents in front of the local pastors house. It was quite cozy and comfortable, for the most part. The kids loved us and I loved drawing pictures in the dirt, having them teach me the Macua words for each picture. We killed a pig for dinner one night and chickens for lunch, I didn't eat either one. I will try to process it all and elaborate more soon.
There is so much to say about all that is going on, but so little time here in the internet cafe'. I appreciate all your emails. I am really enjoying life here. It was nice to come home to my little hut near the beach after my time in the village and while in the village I wanted to stay there and learn from the Mozambican women. There are so many levels of poverty. I thought I had seen it all. The village, despite a nearby well and nice latrines, had a lot of sickness, disease and extreme poverty.
On the way home, I got to sit up front. We drove over 300 kilometers to get to this village in a covered flat bed truck. It was VERY BUMPY! So, someone offered a seat up front and I took it! I wound up sitting between an Iris Mozambican pastor and a Muslim driver, both about 60 years old. We had a really great time, laughing at the people in the back screaming each time we hit a bump, and they cut open and sliced yucca root? for me. I used my little Portuguese and even pulled out my dictionary. So, for five hours I sat in the hot truck between the two of them and took in the landscape and drank cokes, ate yucca, and laughed. I hope I never forget it.
Class this morning was great. Stacy Campbell is here teaching from Canada. I am taking notes and also hope to post her lesson on Praying the Word.
I am trying to prepare myself for coming home. It is only one month away. It will not be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment